Monday 3 December 2012

Seasons Greetings. I Think?

Hiya Peeps,
 With the holiday season fast approaching I have been able to relinquish my usual feeling of dread for this time of year in my  current locale. My dislike for Christmas has only recently been superseded by the exorbitant prices charged at dinner parties this season requires people to attend.  Work dinners, New- Year dinners, I just got a new dog dinners, am I the only one who is tired of the boring ass dinners?


Recently went to a friend birthday dinner of course I want to support a friend on their special day but the venue always seems to boast the latest in posh nosh. Which means I will be stumping up cash to eat chips; again as the menu rarely has anything that I can consume. (I’m a fussy eater) Now I work hard so when its time to get social I would much rather cut loose. It does not have to be a club (although I love to dance) we can go to a nice bar, or a restaurant that provides casual eats with a nice atmosphere or to any-thing involving live music, concerts are my absolute favourite pass time.


Drinks on Londons Southbank. Love it!
Why are these dinners becoming more and more expensive may I ask?  Do people think that in these hard times I want to part with fifty quid for one meal? Then they want you to drink and dance all night in the downstairs lounge area that doubles up as dance floor after eleven, which is tricky at £8 a drink when you have just spent your weekly food budget on chips.  Any-hoooooooooo, you join every-body at the fake posh dinner and you do it because you love you friend.  In the name of social etiquette you are then required to interact with individuals that you only ever see once a year at the same friend’s soiree. The prospect of which is worse than the food.  Most of these people are perfectly nice but you really wouldn’t choose to spend time with them because their simply not your bag. Even the thought of networking is not enough to make me more enthused.


 Whenever I’m with non friends at these sorts of events especially the work Christmas lunch people tend to get the peacock, shiny version of me.  You know what I mean; its like I’m pre- programmed to start giving the world the best of me routine. Depending on my audience will depend on how I interact but no matter how I try to be myself I can’t help feeling like a fraud.  As I would much rather be some-where holed up behaving badly with my real friends rather than discussing the renovation project/ new flat. The best mortgage providers and what nursery they have signed up young Florence or Egypt for at three months old. I find myself joining in this obnoxious verbal foreplay when all I really just want to do is scream I don’t know you well enough to care. As a result I do everything I can to avoid such social scenario’s but at time when it cannot be avoided I place myself with the one person that gets on my nerves the least. (Usually the cleaner)




3 comments:

  1. I feel everything you are saying. Fellow fussy eater (not by choice) and currently dreading the work christmas party who make it seem like its the most important soicial event of 2012 (makes you wonder do they get out much. Really hating the menu and have spent the last two weeks trying to figure out what I can eat. Currently trying to figure out excuses. Help? Joycey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joycey,
    My fussy eating is due to my choice not to eat meat. And I really don't enjoy nut roasts. lol

    if I were you I would take annual leave on the day of the dreadded holiday lunch and use the time to get together with my real mates somewhere nice so that you can actually enjoy yourself and have a giggle.

    Holiday greetings Coco.x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wishing you a joyful Christmas Coco!!

    ReplyDelete