Tuesday 22 January 2013

Why are we Replacing Reality TV with Reality?

Hiya Peeps,
Modern society has so many antidotes that encourage us to battle through the reality of tough times. The music we listen to, the films and television we love most often depicts a triumph over adversity story that we either identify or empathise with. Personally, I'm sick of human suffering especially the kind that we inflict on ourselves. (Yes, the season of goodwill is truly finished in my house)

This story makes even the hardest heart melt 

Does this mean that I’m perfect and without flaws; you ask? Hell no but like many others I am opting to try my best most of the time. When this fails I have a tantrum and rant to friends or read something soothing and inspirational or meditate. Does any of this crap work you ask? Some- times and when it doesn’t I find sleep really does, I have found on many occasion when I just do not have the answers taking to my bed has stopped me from going over the edge.
I always struggle to do it, but this practice always makes me feel better

For this reason I try to limit the amount of white noise I allow into my space.  Every-time I turn on the box after eliminating the talent shows the only thing left  Is Dr. Phil counselling a family, or some other television host explaining to us how to live debt free or a healthier lifestyle with diet and exercise when the truth is we already know this sheeeeeeeeeeet! We all know if we eat more that we move our skinny jeans will hitch on our bum crack revealing a muffin top of fat that we tried to hide unsuccessfully with a longer top. We all know if we spend more that we earn we will end up in a debt and we know if we cheat, lie, have a drug or alcohol misuse problem that the people in our lives will be affected negatively by our behaviour.  This is not a critique of any individual battling with the aforementioned issues I just wish that these people were given the help quietly and with dignity instead of having to turn their lives into a three ring circus to be eligible for assistance. I have my own weight/ money/ relationship crap to dissect without dreaming of Christina from the middle of nowhere Texas who is 20 and is not sure of the identity of her father and is battling bulimia.
 Now the truth is Government has us believe that we can’t help everybody so if we have limited resources for assistance why are we not tackling societal problems with more sophistication than a talk/reality show?  The platform of television news and the media for years now has become no more that a comical and easy to digest run down of events that we are allowed to view. Why can I see adults having their colon cleansed on a television show that is not about health. That’s why I lurve blogs as they provide an alternative to the stale presentation of traditional storytelling and through this medium I can learn what life is like for the victims of the Tsunami years later or what an aid worker experienced when they went to Haiti. Why are we so addicted to recreating reality through TV? It’s distracting us from real life.

Please Comment

2 comments:

  1. Coco,

    First let me say that I thoroughly enjoy reading your blog although I don't often comment it's not because I do not want to, it's because I have something to say about every thought provoking comment you have and don't feel as if I have enough time to do so! :)

    Anyway, with respect to your recent post, I couldn't agree with you more but I would like to add that I am beginning to notice an increase in the violent and immature way in how grown women are relating to one another these days, on and off screen. Shows like the Real Housewives of Whatever City, Bad Girls Club and Texas Rich, Basketball Wives to name a few, reinforce that no matter how old you are you are never to old to toss drinks, pull hair and crudely insult another woman no matter what her age. What are we doing????? Is this really the kind of rite of passage nonsense we want to pass onto our daughters, nieces, sisters, etc.? I am so sick of it, I am sick of 30+ women thinking it's okay to jump over tables, call each other Bitches, pull out hair and throw degrading insults ON TELEVISION! What the hell are we doing and what the hell are we telling the world about us, what message are sending and we have the NERVE to feel disrespected???

    Reality t.v. needs to go the way of the Dodo, GONE FOREVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hear, Hear,

    Give this woman a mike and a loud speaker. I couldnt agree more.xx

    ReplyDelete